-
February 27th, 2004, 02:17 AM
#1
Inactive Member
A project I'm contemplating just will not accomodate 511 horns. I'll be using 808-8As with a diaphram change to more suit hi-fi. The 511 with driver is just too long for the enclosure. What does the 32A or 32B sound like or are there other small horn options? I will be crossing over between 1200hz and 1500hz so a smaller horn is not a problem acousticlly limited in the mid-range. But I'm more concerned with the overall "realism" and tonal balance of the 808 horn combo. Do these bent horns have a narrower dispersion than the bigger horns? I know it is alot of questions but I'm new to Altec stuff and haven't heard ANY of it yet. I have the drivers but no modifications have been done yet!
-
March 1st, 2004, 09:59 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Nothing on this fellas?????
Also I must correct that I meant 811 horns!
The 811s and 511s are too large for the project I am considering. Saw 32B horns and looks like they would fit but I would like an opinion on their overall signature. Are they over present in the midrange and also what is a good crossover point for them?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
-Chris-
-
March 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
#3
Inactive Member
A 32-series horn is a handy thing, and goes way back to an original Western Electric design without any maningful changes. However, it does make a ninety, and in doing so the air column goes through a number of changes...and so does the sound.
Don't expect a clear dispersion path, such as you will get with the 511 or 811. But it will fit where nothing else will!
DG
-
March 5th, 2004, 08:24 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Being a hard-core 511B user/addict I have very little experience with the little 32 series horn. The 32B was used in some top end systems though such as the Model Fifteen and the A8 Voice of the Theatre (which was crossed over at 800Hz!). Anyone have any comments about the HF of these systems?
MP
-
March 6th, 2004, 10:34 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Maybe it is only faded memory but years ago I had two Altec A8 systems. I remember listening to the original Olivia Newton-John CD "Let Me Be There". I will have to say that in my memory those two systems were the cleanest sound I have ever heard. The 800 Hz crossover was perfect for the bent horns. There was no really low bass but these two systems could really play loud and the sound was very clean. Go for the bent horns if you don't have room for the 511 or 811. Have fun. Reed
-
March 7th, 2004, 10:29 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks a lot for all the info fellas!
I think a pair of these might be a good gamble.
I will be mating them to 808-8As with new replacement diaphragms.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks